What is a film tape?
CS Hyde film tapes are composed of performance polymer plastic films that do not normally have an adhesive backing. Most commonly semi-crystalline polymers, because they are known to be difficult to bond using adhesives or sealants. Common polymer films that adhesive can be laminated to include PEEK, PTFE made Teflon™ Fluoroplastics, Nylon, Ultem, Polyethylene, and Polyester.
The benefits of applying adhesives to films:
• Fastening- Eliminates the need for mechanical fastening- Ex. Bolts, Screws, Rivets
• Ease of application- Peel and stick application
• Sealing- Adhesive bonding creates a better airtight seal than mechanical fastening.
• Cleanliness- Spray adhesives are messy and hard to contain
• Customization- Select an adhesive that will meet the requirements of your application.
How is adhesive laminated to plastic film?
We utilize pressure lamination to apply adhesive backing to our performance films. Some of our plastics such as Teflon® require special preprocess treatments like chemical etching for adhesive to bond to the film. We utilize transfer adhesives for our lamination process because these type of adhesives enables us to create rolls or sheets with a removable liner that can be easily removed on installation. Films tapes with liner also allow us to create die cut parts or adhesive backed plastic strips for peel and stick applications.
CS Hyde is a top choice converter of 3M™ transfer adhesives. We utilize their extensive families of adhesives to create custom film tapes with properties that meet customer application requirements like clarity, temperature resistance, substrate bond strength, or physical property requirements like UV or water resistance. The most common adhesives include 3M™ VHB™, high bond acrylic, standard acrylic, or silicone.
What type of adhesive is best for bonding uncommon materials?
• High bond Acrylic– Strong bonding ideal for adhesion to difficult-to-bond, low surface energy surfaces like some plastics, powder coated metals, foams, and oily metals. Indoor-Outdoor use.
• UV Resistance
• Water Resistance
• Chemical Resistance- gasoline, oil, Freon™ TF, sodium chloride solution, mild acids and alkalis.
• Acrylic adhesives – Bond strengthens over time, rated up to 250°F to 350°F, Indoor-outdoor use.
• Silicone adhesives – intended for clean release applications that withstand high temperatures rated up to 500°F. Indoor use.
• 3M VHB™ Foam Adhesives– ultra-thin conformable foam adhesives with energy absorbing properties that provide impact and vibration resistance. Combining VHB Foams with polymer films create stable adhesive tapes with cushioning properties and surface properties of polymer films.
Types of plastics we laminate adhesive to:
Types of plastic films we laminate adhesive to include Acetal/POM, Delrin®, Nylon 6/6, Mylar®, PEEK™, Ultem® PEI, PVDF, Polycarbonate, and PTFE made with Teflon™ fluoroplastic.